History's Most Traumatic Floods
Top Ten Worst
Floods in History
According to the website Armageddon, here is a list of the ten worst floods in world history. You will notice that the first on the list involve the Yellow River (Huang He) in China. This has been a reoccurring nightmare for the Chinese people. IN 1938, the government itself provoked the flood, hoping to stall the advance of the Japanese army.
1. 1931 Huang He River Flood, China. Death toll, 1 - 3.7 million.
2. 1887 Huang He River Flood, China. Death toll 900,000 - 2 million.
3. 1938 Huang He River Flood, China. Death toll 500,000 - 900,000.
4. 1642 Kaifeng Flood, China. Death toll 300,000. This disaster also involved the Huang He River, overflowing its banks near the eastern city of Kaifeng in the Henan province.
5. 1975 Ru River - Banqiao Dam Collapse, China. Death toll 90,000 - 230,000. This was also the worst dam related disaster in history.
6. 1931 Yangtze River, China. Death toll 145,000.
7. 1099 The Netherlands and England. This event from the Middle Ages resulted in the death of 100,00 at the time, a substantial percentage of the world's population.
8. 1287 St. Lucia's Flood, the Netherlands. Death toll 50,000 - 80,000. Entire cities were destroyed when a dike broke on December 14, 1287, St. Lucia Day.
9. 1824, The Neva River Flood, Russia. Death toll 1,000 - 10,000.
10. 1421, St. Elizabeth's Flood, the Netherlands. Death toll 1,000 - 10,000. The dikes broke and entire villages were swept away.